generational diversity in the workplace today

1:44 PM
generational diversity in the workplace today -
generational diversity

Did you know that Millennials (generally defined as those born between the early 1980s to early 00) will soon exceed the baby boomers and generation X as the greatest generation of the workforce?

with five side-by-side working generations now, there are more generational diversity in the workplace than ever before. While this may require new ways of understanding and perspective, it also presents exciting opportunities to share different points of view and develop.

generational diversity Erie Insurance

Joe and Peter Hohman are a father-son team working in the Actuarial Division at Erie Insurance. They commute to work together. Their taste in pop culture is eerily similar, especially with regard to comics and music. They share a love of mathematics and reruns "Frasier." But there are major differences between the Baby Boomer father and his son millennium.

"Peter is smarter and can generally stay focused on something more than me," Joe said. "It is also a better drummer than I am, but I'm a much better guitarist."

Peter's response was more aesthetic.

"I have the hair, but not Underwriter Chartered Property Casualty (CPCU) designation, as my father has a CPCU designation, but no hair, "quips Peter.

Joe has been with ERIE for 22 years. Before ERIE, he taught at a university, worked as a statistician plumbing and sold, electric and heating. Peter started with ERIE in June shortly after graduation. While he briefly considered going to grad school or look for another job, he accepted a full time position after his second internship with ERIE.

Here are some other interesting details about the father-son duo.

Joe: My title may be Associate Actuary but I'm more commonly known

["theactuaryMarylandandDC" Peter: My job title may be Actuarial Analyst I, but I'm more commonly known Peter Hohman

In work one day

Joe: I'm working on the price for the Auto touring Car Roof Erie Home and secure. (I am also responsible for the price Boat and Inland Marine.)

Peter :. I use a ton of data on historical losses to determine the appropriate rate for commercial insurance, particularly in Wisconsin and Illinois

How my role connects to ERIE the strategy

Joe: price is a fine balancing act between ensuring that the premiums are adequate enough to be profitable and low enough to be competitive

Peter :. Strategy ERIE is to sell insurance, and I guess you can not sell something that is priceless. To be fair, much of the actual pricing (especially in commercial lines) is done by good people to subscribe, but my work provides a kind of foundation for potential points of insurance prices.

My path is like ...

Joe: A gradual curve upward sloping without discontinuity points. (I went in much the same role for the past 22 years.)

Peter: A scatterplot with a Pearson coefficient of about 0.67 - there has a decent linear trend line that represents my ideal path, but there are many future points that differ significantly from the trendline unexpectedly. In fact, I can not even be fully confident that online is the best way to explain the data, as I'm not sure my ideal course will be the best way to deal with the inevitable surprises I encounter in my career. (Re-read it, I realize that I went with a literal visual explanation of what my path "looks" and failed to give an overview of my past positions and future goals as a reasonable person. Sorry for that!)

[turning Career (s)

Joe: When I was a freshman in college, I apparently helped a adult student with a part of his duties calculation. I say "apparently" because I do not remember; but adult student turned out to be Sharon Cooper, who a few years later decided to recruit me and was my first supervisor. Moral of the story: try to be nice to everybody because you never know when your paths may cross again

Peter :. Becoming disillusioned with academia in my sixth semester of the university and therefore the choice to enter the job market after graduation instead of pursuing a graduate degree

where I see ERIE five years

Joe :. I think the costs of loss (and the associated premium) private passenger automobile will come WAY down with the advent of self-driving cars. Also, I have a feeling that the novelty of shopping for insurance online will wear off, because the public will realize that they need the expertise provided by an insurance agent. ERIE partnership with its independent force will continue to pay big dividends

Peter :. Always in Erie, Pennsylvania

Dream project [

Joe: I had several transversal projects that I really enjoyed. One was a project of reimbursement for the North Carolina owners; Another was the development of Top 30 Agency indicates that we use in our input meetings; The most recent study was a fraud I had the privilege of working on

Peter :. Find a way to incorporate all of my university knowledge interstellar radiative transfer processes in the new Wisconsin factors territory. Hey, I can dream, I can not

What I wanted to do when I grew up

Joe:. A teacher

Peter: An astrophysicist specializing in cosmology.

What is currently stuck in my head

Joe: "Nerve Meter" by The Hipsters (my first band I played my first show in 34 years with them recently in Pittsburgh)

Peter: .. "Crazy Mixed-Up Kid" by The Smithereens

The best advice I never received

Joe: when I was training to be a teacher, I asked a friend of my teachers when it would be appropriate to use the sarcastic humor in front of a class. His opinion was that this was never the case, because no matter how obvious your sarcasm may seem to you, someone always take the wrong way

Peter :. I remember volunteering in a kind of food bank once a man I was doing there serve told me: "It is important to give a part of yourself to others, because if you do not do it, then you do not really have anything worthwhile in the first place. "I can t claim to have followed his advice terribly well in the intervening years, but it was a kind of cosmic time and a great piece of advice .

recent madness

Joe: A new lawnmower (Woo hoo!)

Peter. a bass guitar Rickenbacker

Favourite film show or television

Joe: film - "It's a wonderful life."; TV show - "Twilight Zone" and

Peter: film - is "Spider-Man 2" or "01: A Space Odyssey," "Frasier";. TV show - "Rick and Morty."

Hero (es)

Joe: Abraham Lincoln, Tecumseh, and (as artists, not necessarily people) The Beatles

Peter: .. Each individual Beatle, Grant Morrison, Brian May and Leonhard Euler

to learn about career opportunities in ERIE, visit the Careers section Erie Insurance on erieinsurance.com. You can also learn more about career opportunities at ERIE following page Careers Erie Insurance Group on LinkedIn.



Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar