(Bitter) Sweet 16: Surviving the (first)

4:35 PM
(Bitter) Sweet 16: Surviving the (first) - Readers

Since my 16-year-old daughter Maddi got the license the driver's license last month, I 've entered uncharted territory. I'm supposed patiently (yeah, uh, of course) to teach my teenage daughter how to drive. I think I prefer to rub the bathroom every night of the week to argue with my stubborn teenager on what it was really about this car parked. (I tell you it was close!)

I took her to a large parking lot of the church when he was not busy during some evenings. Basically, she got her idea for the gas and the brakes and I showed him where things were in the vehicle. She immediately wanted to use both feet to drive and I choked it right in the bud. Overall, the first lessons are not too bad. In addition, she realized, "This thing is driving a lot harder than I thought. I'm scared. "GOOD! I'd rather be nervous than him too confident right now.

Now all I hear is," Mom, you take take me? " And I cringe. It's not that I mind taking it, but there is one more thing to add to my already long list to do. But I know I'll have to find time to fit in all this driving practice, as in Pennsylvania, you must log at least 65 hours of supervised practice behind the wheel.

"OMG, there's a van behind me!"

Fast forward a few lessons where Maddi and I ventured on the road with cars ... real. I will not lie, I am grasping the door handle on the passenger side. It is okay -. Many lurching stop signs, but it will work only in time

We are driving around a neighborhood and it takes a wrong turn towards the main road. She is not yet ready for that, so I told him to choose a path and turn around. She pulls into one, and of course, the van behind us waiting to pull into the driveway where? Yep, we are the driveway.

She immediately gets nervous, admitting: "I do not remember which way to turn the wheel when I back" (If you think about it, it is a delicate master concept.) I instruct him in. reaching over to help.

instead of hitting the brake, as it backs up, she accidentally hit the gas, which we slot to the mailbox. We lack accuracy it.

" Stop! "I shouted." Get out of the car. I'll go back so these people can get in their driveway. "

Maddi is mortified at this stage. She refuses to get out of the car and said she will simply drag on. So I get out of the car, wave to the woman in the minivan and very matter-of-factly say, "pilot teens." She gives me the nod and I know she gets totally. all the way back, my girl is on the way I embarrassed. I had missed something.

"And you're so mean, why do you keep yelling at me?"

I calmly explained that I'm not yelling at her. but when she goes too fast or driving a little too close to traffic coming the other way, yes, I panic. I will definitely become stronger. she tries to fight but a truck arrives.

"Concentrate," I say. and once more I realize why I'm not a teacher.


Watch for updates from Maddi and me on our journey of learning to drive in the next weeks. Meanwhile, here are some helpful tips for parents and young drivers a list of smartphone applications can help reduce driver distraction.

Read the next installment of this series.

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar